Poems in the Waiting Room presents
Print Poem Book Workshops
with Lynn Taylor
The Community Gallery, Princes St, Dunedin
Sunday 12 October 10 -4.00pm
Monday 13 October 10 – 4.00pm
Each workshop is limited to 6 attendees
Cost $75.00 each* (materials included)
Please contact Ruth if you wish to book a place: email waitingroompoems (at) gmail(d0t) com
There is 1 Monday place left, Sunday is fully booked.
These one day workshops respond to the context and works in the A Palette of Poetry exhibition while also exploring poetic ways of playing with words, printmaking and books. It is envisaged the course would be of appeal to people who like to combine textual, tactile and visual elements and are interested in the way these elements interact and modify each other. No prior bookbinding or printmaking experience is necessary.
1. You will play with repurposing old books: reclaiming book pages with gesso and other interventions like folding and finding poems amongst the text.
2. You will make your own word/poem stamp out of solar plate which can be printed or embossed on paper and also use some existing premade word stamps. (Think in terms of word/poetry fragments.)
3. You will create a 5 pamphlet stitch mini poetry/art journal from the material you generate in the morning session – embossed/printed paper, repurposed book pages and even plain paper. Once you have the hang of this you can go onto make another!
You may choose not to bind all your pages together but the idea is that the mini journal is tactile and making it generates creating a new text and ways of reading.
Supplementary Materials for Participants to bring:
- Lunch and snacks – or go out for lunch.
- Your pencil-case supplies like: glue stick, paintbrush, pencil, scissors, coloured pencils ruler, craft knife, a tool that pokes holes and bits and bobs like buttons and ribbons.
- An apron
* Thanks to funding from the Creative NZ, Creative Communities Dunedin Scheme the course can be subsidised, reducing the fee from $100.00 to $75.00 per attendee.